Live

Watch CBSN Live

Bruno Mars to Enter Plea in Las Vegas Cocaine Case

Bruno Mars at the Clark County Regional Justice Center to waive his preliminary hearing on felony drug possession charges, Feb. 4, 2011, in Las Vegas. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images) Ethan Miller

(CBS/AP) Singer-songwriter Bruno Mars is due to plead guilty before a Nevada judge to cocaine possession as part of a deal with Las Vegas prosecutors that could result in the felony conviction being erased next year.

The 25-year-old, also known as Peter Hernandez, is due Wednesday to plead guilty before a Nevada judge in Clark County District Court.

PICTURES: Celebrity Mug Shots
PICTURES: Grammy Winners

Mars allegedly possessed 2.6 grams of cocaine when he was arrested in September in a men's room at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas following a performance at a nightclub.

As opposed to a jail sentence, the Grammy award-winner will have to spend a year on probation, receive a $2,000 fine, serve 200 hours of community service and attend drug counseling.

Earlier this month, Mars' defense lawyer Blair Berk said her client appreciated the chance he was receiving as a first-time offender. She said, "We're extremely pleased the charge against Bruno is going to be dismissed."

If he stays out of trouble for a year, the conviction would be removed from his record.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue