Haitian-Americans wary of Wyclef Jean's run for Haitian president may have reason to celebrate.
A member of Haiti's provisional electoral council told Reuters "He is not on the list as I speak." He said the country's electoral disputes bureau had ruled that Jean's candidacy did not meet several legal requirements.
The committee requires candidates to have spent the last five consecutive years living in Haiti. Jean does not fulfill that requirement, having lived in the U.S. the past five years.
The Associated Press reported earlier in the day that Haitian President Rene Preval met with the former presidential hopeful Wyclef Jean for more than two hours, discussing everything from the hip-hop artist's safety to relations with the neighboring Dominican Republic.
Jean tells the Associated Press that he felt Thursday's exchange with Rene Preval was positive.
Earlier in the week, Jean said he had received death threats. Jean said Preval expressed concern and offered Jean security.
While Jean's candidacy is still in question, the former Fugees frontman will find out for certain on Friday -- when the country's provisional electoral council is scheduled to formally release Haiti's official presidential candidate list.