Live

Watch CBSN Live

Trinidad Camp: No Fight!


The deal for a welterweight unification fight between Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad is bogged down by a money dispute between Trinidad's father-manager and promoter Don King, the Puerto Rican fighter's family said Saturday.

On Friday, De La Hoya promoter Bob Arum said a deal had been struck for De La Hoya to receive $15 million and Trinidad's camp to get $10.5 million.

Not so, said Trinidad family lawyer Nicolas Medina.

"It's unacceptable. What King did was negotiate another $500,000 for himself," Medina told The Associated Press. "The deal is stuck."

He said King already had agreed he would get no more than $2 million. Under an original proposal already rejected by Felix Trinidad Sr., the fighter's father and manager, Trinidad's camp would receive $8 million and King $2 million.

King could not be reached for comment. An answering machine at his office said it was closed for the weekend.

It's not the first difference between King and Trinidad Sr., who lost a court case last year in which he argued the promoter no longer had contractual rights over his son.

The proposed fight still would depend on De La Hoya beating Oba Carr in defense of his WBC title Saturday night and Trinidad, the IBF champion, beating Hugo Pineda on May 29 in Puerto Rico

It would take place Sept. 18 in Las Vegas and would be televised on pay-per-view, Arum had said.

Trinidad Sr. said Saturday he is demanding an additional $8 for every cable viewer over 850,000. Trinidad has a contract with HBO.

©1998 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue